Wednesday 22 February 2023

Is running like riding a bike?

So, I'm worried about how my knee will hold up on Sunday's event.  This week I've been daydreaming about being able to run the length.  (Yes, it's a fun 'run' but you are allowed to walk it.  So no, I'm not shooting into an event with no training, I know that I'll be able to walk).


But, still, I wondered... I haven't even attempted to run since I injured my knees.  Why would I?  But this week I started wondering... is it like riding a bike?  What if I just start running?  My body will just do it, surely?


How amazing would that be?  When I asked the doctors whether I could ever run again, they hesitated to say a straight out 'no', but I could tell that's what they were thinking.  They said they have seen stranger things (or words to that effect).


So, me being me, I decided then and there that I would in fact run again.  If it's possible then I will make it happen!


I guess despite having completely damaged knees, I've still, on the inside, never given up hope, and genuinely can still see myself as a runner.


Which is how I came to wondering this week if it is like riding a bike...


I tried today (two days before the event), and while it genuinely felt like riding a bike to 80% of my body and that I fitness wise could just keep going, my left knee said NO.


I'm really upset about it.


Attempting to run (just around the loungeroom) was a big reminder to the fact that yes, my knees are actually stuffed!  My right knee seemed fine, but my left just felt so weak and it hurt. *shaking my head*


The rest of my body was screaming YES!  We remember how to do this!  I 1000% felt like I could run - and keep running.  Except for that left knee.  I looked at some scans and you can clearly see that I have literally no padding between the bones on my left knee - well, less so than on my right.  It just felt like it wouldn't hold up, like there was zero support.


So maybe running can very well be like riding a bike!  .........unless you have a stuffed knee.😞


In a flurry I quickly jumped online and ordered a knee brace from Big W to pick up tomorrow.  Yes, not my most medically sound purchase I've ever made, but I don't have the time or the money to get a proper one before Sunday, and I reasoned it could only help.


I'll just walk it. Of course I won't go out and hurt myself but I just want to run it so much!!!


Anyway this event is not about me running 1km, or 1 metre for that matter.


It's about all the reasons I listed on my previous post.


I just digressed because the running aspect is on my mind today.


I want to run it so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment